Saturday, January 10, 2009

working watercolour sketches





Here are some of the preliminary watercolours from working with Loretta, Now I have to figure out how to integrate these figures into the landscape, or maybe not. Lots of challenges ahead, have been working nonstop in the studio for days, might just take a break today and let my energy settle. It has been a long time since I have worked with the figure and I am discovering many similarities between the landscape and the human form. I have always felt that the earth's body is mysteriously an extension of our own bodies. I would like to be able to combine the two in a way that expresses this connection.

I am also hoping to produce several pieces for our upcoming group show "Eros" from these watercolours. I'm reading the Kama Sutra and the the seven spiritual laws of love which is so beautiful.
"Sexual energy is the primal and creative energy of the universe. Sexual energy can be creative at all levels - sexual, emotion and spiritual. In any situation where we feel attraction, arousal, awakening, alertness, passion, interest, inspiration, excitement, creativity or enthusiasm, in each ot these situations sexual energy is at work. Whenever we feel these states of awareness, we must put our attention on this energy that we are experiencing, nourishing it with our attention, experiencing it with joy and keeping it alive in our awareness. Sexual energy is sacred energy. When we have restored the sexual experience to the realm of the sacred, our world will be chaste and divine, holy and healed."
I have always felt that our society tends to strip away all the sacredness of this intense, beautiful energy, turning it into a vulgar commodity. This has been to the detriment of us all, creating shame and guilt about an energy that is so entwined with our creativity and joy. I hope to create several pieces that express this delight and celebration of sexual love and energy.

1 comment:

doreyme said...

Me, too....working with the figure...not for some time. I'm signed up at the visual arts centre, I think, starting Jan 23 for live model sessions..I'm so excited. I'm also going to be watercolours...probably monochrome...
It'll be a challenge I am so looking for.
cheers,
Edith

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...